Research in Motion (RIM) was the most active of the S&P/TSX companies on the social web in October according to this infographic released today by H+K Strategies (my employer).
Five things I find a bit surprising about the list?
- Of the top ten companies active on the social web in October, only three are mainstream retailers — unless you consider banks to be in the retail sector, which I don't.
- Three of the top 11 are banks, which were much later than other industries to get the potential of the social web. They're evidently making up for lost time.
- A mining company (Barrick) and three energy companies (Cenovus, Suncor and Encana) in the top 25 demonstrates there is a place for social web strategies even in the extractive sector.
- People continue to 'like' RIM on Facebook even given the extensive negative press it has received over the past year.
- You would expect media companies (Rogers and Shaw) to make the most of YouTube, with their easy access to content. Neither are in the top five YouTube users.